Monday, August 27, 2007

Preparing for school

It has been interesting this week as I shop for school supplies and try to get ready for the year. I keep looking at different kinds of notebooks to decide what kind I would like to use this year, and then realize that I have no need for a notebook this year. Anything I would have put into a notebook previously is going to go into my tablet. For me, at least, the Tablet will help me to live a more environmentally-friendly life. When students come to see me for extra help on dorm, we always work out problems on paper, which I then give to the student to keep. Now we will do the exact same thing just as easily, but instead of wasting paper, I will e-mail the work to the student. Hopefully they won't then print it out!

As a math teacher, I really hope we will eventually get to the point where the students have tablets as well. If we ever switch the students to tablets, I will be able to go completely paperless. By then most math textbooks will have electronic versions, and students would be able to do all their work on their computers and simply e-mail me their solutions.

While I hope to find ways during the year that the Tablet will energize my teaching, I am already confident that it will help me do what I already do better, more efficiently, and in a way that benefits the environment much better than now.

PLUS - it's fun to write on the screen, so I'll do a better job of taking and keeping notes, using OneNote!

No comments: