Saturday, August 25, 2007

Tablet PC workshop

This hands-on workshop taught me how to use the Tablet PC, and gave me a chance to work with some very cool software, like Camtasia and SnagIt. I can see many ways that I will be able to use these tools in my classroom to facilitate and enhance my teaching.


OneNote is a very handy piece of software. It will allow me to get my materials organized before my classes start, so that I don't need to rush during the break closing and opening files, which is something I have had to do when teaching students of different levels. I will have more time to help and talk to students before class starts.

Digital pen is another powerful tool that I wish I had years ago, and I know I will use it often to demonstrate how to write Chinese characters. Chinese characters have complicated stroke orders, and being able to demonstrate the stroke order live in class will make learning them more intuitive and easier for the students. This will be much more efficient than trying to teach stroke orders from a book. I can also save these demonstrations for students to review after class if needed, so it is almost as if they can take the classroom home with them.

Another powerful feature is the Input Panel. I can use the digital pen to write Chinese characters, and the tablet will actually convert my Chinese hand-written characters to Chinese text. I have heard of handwriting recognition systems before, but until I actually had a chance to use it I never imagined how useful this could be.

After exploring all the practical tools and benefits, I can say I am completely won over by the Tablet PC. Having it will improve my teaching efficiency, help me perform tasks more quickly, and ultimately make my classroom a better place for the students.

No comments: